20101007

Haterade / MTTM

I have a confession to make that is probably obvious to anyone who knows me, but needs to be adressed- I have a Banjee Girl streak in me that is as wide as the day is long. Shoulder-grazing hoop earrings have been a part of my repertoire since my public school era, and I'm sure will continue to be, into my lackluster career/failed art fag era. Haaaaaa. And of course, this also means I have a soft spot in my cold little heart for the whole streetwear aesthetic.

A few weeks ago, though, I was thinking about writing about how unimpressive most streetwear brands (with a few major exceptions) are anymore. Married to the Mob particularly irritates me. Then I saw this, from their men's line:
( via highsnobette )

I've had this song stuck in my head ever since, which I think means I should probably buy it. Why don't they make anything this good for girls???

I've never cared much for Leah McSweeney - something about her (or her persona when interviewed, anyway) really agitates me. I really like the few MTTM things I have gotten over the years but on the whole I find their schtick so fuckin' tired and I know I'm not alone!


How many times can you make the same damn corny t-shirt and wanna charge $40+??? Snoooozzzzzze. No wonder people have been saying "Streetwear is dead" for a few years now. I'd like to think that's not the case, but I've become much more interested in the brands that have taken a more fashion forward route like Dimepiece:
I feel like these brands build on a streetwear aesthetic but really push their graphics and experiment with different fabrics, shapes, and silhouettes, which keeps it relevant and interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment